Thursday 24 July 2008

Russell 2000 Position Closed on Technical Stop

Just got stopped out of my Russell 2000 long position as the market broke down off the open. I recently started using a new, improved trading setup for this market, which is now in cash. (See my latest signals page table for more details.) So I waited for a technical exit point in order to sell the long position. Because of the recent ramp-up, I used a trailing volatility stop set a little below the 20-period moving average on the 15-minute chart. (The specific stop I used was the average minus the recent largest Average True Range minus an extra "notch" on the ATR chart, which came out to $50.14 for the UWM ProShares Russell 2000 Fund.) Good luck the rest of this week.

TAGS: Russell 2000, ProShares, COT, Commitments of Traders, market timing, trading system development, CFTC, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, COTs Timer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex,

Nat Gas down again after inventory numbers and just broke the stop :(
Took a beating... looks to be mimic of last year's chart.

Rgds
Pete

Alex Roslin said...

Arrgh. Thanks, Pete. I just wrote a post on that.

Best of luck to us all!
Alex